12 scientific schools science with international recognition work at VIAM in various areas of materials science:
- Casting of single-crystal turbine blades with a principally new transpiration cooling system;
- High-gradient directional crystallization of heat-resistant alloys;
- Metal physical researches of heat-resistant alloys;
- High-strength and superlight aluminum alloys;
- Titanium alloys;
- Aviation steels;
- Metallurgy of aviation steels and heat-resistant alloys;
- Plastic working of metallic materials;
- Composite materials;
- Polymer materials;
- Structural strength and serviceability of aviation materials;
- High-temperature glass-ceramic materials.
By the results of All-Russian contests among leading scientific schools, academician E. N. Kablov's scientific schools many years won the title of “Leading scientific school in the Russian Federation” and the RF President's Grant (2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012).