Conference in Ivanovo: excursion into the history of VIAM
On March 23-24, 2016 Andrey Narskij, a representative of the All-Russian Scientific-Research Institute of Aviation Materials (VIAM) took part in the work of the XV International Scientific Conference “State, society, church in the history of Russia in the XX-XXI centuries”, held at the Ivanovo State University.
In the course of the event, Andrey Narskij made a report titled “Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Michael in Moscow. The history from 1918 till 1932”. He told that the Kirche of Saint Michael was located in a territory of VIAM (17 St. Radio, Moscow) from 1685 till 1932. It was the first stone cultural building of a different religion in the history of our country.
The report aroused lively interest among the attendees and it was widely debated. But especially that attracted the attention of the attendees that the theme had the direct link with the history of rocket-aerospace engineering.
According to the author, there was a laboratory of propeller department of TsAGI indoors of the church, which was closed for parishioners in 1928. The laboratory was engaged in testing of aircraft engines. Besides, a scientist Friedrich A. Zander was one of the creators of the first soviet liquid-fuel rocket, he carried out numerous “cold” and “fire” experiments with engines in 1930-1932. In particular, it was referred to tests of created by him OR-1 – reactive engine on compressed air with gasoline. Then the brigades began to work at “Group for the Study of reactive Motion” (GIRD), which was located in the basement of the house №9, St. Sadovaya-Spasskaya.
Consequently, it turned out, that the soviet rocket production had started in the territory of VIAM, making the first steps to solve the issues of space flights.
Specialists of the Museum association “The Museum of Moscow” were interested in the research results. And now they use the developments of Andrey Narskij in their scientific-research and educational work.
It should be noted, that in the near future you will be able to read more details about all founded by the author materials in his new book “The History of one Lutheran church”, which is being prepared for release in the current year.