Letter of Appreciation from Orsha convent
On November 29, 2013 the All-Russian Scientific-research institute of aviation materials (VIAM) received a Letter of Appreciation from Mother Superior Eupraxia, the prioress of Ascension Orsha convent. There she writes: “Our convent houses Child Social Rehabilitation Center for girls who found themselves in a difficult life situation. Currently this center gives care, accommodation and complete financial support to 32 fosters, 50 sisters permanently live there; construction and renovation activities are in progress, for these reasons the support of concerned people is vitally important”. Mother Superior Eupraxia also invited VIAM representatives to visit the convent.
Recall that in the last November VIAM management took a decision to transfer a part of their salary to render a financial support to Ascension Orsha convent.
Ascension Orsha convent is situated in the Tver Region. The year of foundation is not known (as often stated it existed as early as in the 14th century, though there are no documentary proof thereof). According to testimonies, the convent became the foremost cloister in the Tver fiefdom in the 15th century in days of St. Sabbatius of Orsha.
By the beginning of the 20th century it became a small monastery with a prior and ten novices. In 1903, due to the paucity of brethren, the monastery was converted into a convent. In 1919 the convent was closed. The majority of stone buildings (except for the Cathedral and the prior’s chambers) were demolished, and the Ascension convent was converted into a grain store. Revival of the convent started only in 1992.